Welcome to my World of Wonderment

Our planet is a neat place, full of weird and unusual people doing weird and unusual things. One oddball thing I like to do is geocache. What other activity is there that makes people travel hundreds of miles to climb a mountain, wade a river, and fight a Bigfoot, just to be the first person to sign a piece of paper rolled up in a 35mm film canister stuffed in the knot hole of a tree? I can't think of any other sport that has such a great mix of technology and the wonderful outdoors. A lot of geocaches are placed in a beautiful setting, or hidden in a challenging or unique way, or in a historical setting. Geocaching allows the finder to share in some of the hiders favorite places, and along the way you get to meet some interesting characters, and occasionally learn something new. While this blog is primarily a geocaching blog, I also use this place to post the occasional funny video or weird news story, or as a platform to rant or rave about something I really have to share. But for the most part this website is about you, the weirdo walking around in circles, talking into your GPS unit like it's a phone, pretending your taking pictures of a phone booth to find find the tiniest micro-cache, or circling your car around and around a light pole in a parking lot trying to retrieve a cache without even getting out of your car.

4/3/09

FTF

Well this is just plain weird.  Last weekend I found a cache placed by ~Batman & Catwoman ~ called Smokestack! which I blogged about a few posts ago.  Then last week ~Batman & Catwoman~ were first to find on my hide Harrodsburg Park.  Which inside that cache (spoilers here, hide your eyes don't read any farther) I placed the url for a website with some unpublished puzzle caches.  One of the puzzles requires you to call a phone number which I have a voicemail setup that gives the coordinates for the cache, but B&C were calling the wrong number.  After emailing me with their solution I let them know they were real close and a few minutes later the phone rang so they must have figured it out.  Then last night I saw a newly published, unfound cache ten miles away, hidden by no other than ~Batman & Catwoman~.  One of their amusing Awesome Movie Quote caches.  I just had to be first to find.  My wife thought I was crazy, going out in the freezing cold downpour we had last night, but I had to put my pen on that piece of paper before any other!  Here's my log:

Traditional Cache AMQ #21 - "Hey Howard, there's your china man"

 April 2 by djhobby (364 found)
Hey hey, FIRST TO FIND! I'll see your FTF and raise you one. We keep running into each other's caches.

I was sitting at home watching Lost on the tellie with my wife (yes I'm married, Married? yes married (visit link) when my email chirped in that I had received something important. So I hastened to see what was waiting and lo and behold it was my weekly notification from Geocaching.com about any new events, or news, and especially any new caches in the area. And what do my eyes fall upon?! A brand new cache just 10 miles away placed by Batman and Catwoman! "What?" I think,....this is just too bizarre. I quickly log on to Geocaching.com and .. yes it's true, NO ONE HAS LOGGED THIS YET! So I quickly jump into my "AUTOMOBILLLE?"( (visit link) and drive to Bedford to get my FTF.

Wolfboy (who you may have heard of) has some sort of disorder. Every time someone says the word "automobile" he has to say "AUTO-MOBILE" just like Long Duk Dong does in this movie. It is impossible for him not to do it. I once won a six pack of beer from him because he couldn't go without quoting this movie after I said "automobile"

TFTC TNLN SL FTF W00T AUTOMOBILE?!








0 Comments: