Welcome to my World of Wonderment

Our planet is a neat place, full of weird and unusual people doing weird and unusual things. One oddball thing I like to do is geocache. What other activity is there that makes people travel hundreds of miles to climb a mountain, wade a river, and fight a Bigfoot, just to be the first person to sign a piece of paper rolled up in a 35mm film canister stuffed in the knot hole of a tree? I can't think of any other sport that has such a great mix of technology and the wonderful outdoors. A lot of geocaches are placed in a beautiful setting, or hidden in a challenging or unique way, or in a historical setting. Geocaching allows the finder to share in some of the hiders favorite places, and along the way you get to meet some interesting characters, and occasionally learn something new. While this blog is primarily a geocaching blog, I also use this place to post the occasional funny video or weird news story, or as a platform to rant or rave about something I really have to share. But for the most part this website is about you, the weirdo walking around in circles, talking into your GPS unit like it's a phone, pretending your taking pictures of a phone booth to find find the tiniest micro-cache, or circling your car around and around a light pole in a parking lot trying to retrieve a cache without even getting out of your car.

4/10/09

DNFs

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0060-0808-1313-4740_Alien_Dressed_in_a_Santa_Claus_Suit_clipart_image.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if your average geocacher posts their DNFs?  Some people might think it's a blight on their record.  Or they might think, everyone else found this so why can't I.  Me, I look at a DNF as an opportunity to let the cache hider know a few things. 

First and fore most, the cache may be missing.  You may be giving them a heads up that it needs some maintenance.  I list this reason first for my fragile ego.  Because if the cache is there, I'm finding it, I'm just that good!  Or so I tell myself.  But in reallity I bet I have dozens of DNFs and then the next day someone logs a find.  It would be interesting to go back and count the number of DNFs I've had that were found later.

Other than letting the owner know it may be missing, I like to let the owner know that maybe my DNF is because they hid it really well.  A virtual pat on the back for a well placed cache.  Prarie Partners hid a micro (micro is stretching it, maybe a half micron) on a telephone pole in Bedford, IN once that I must have logged 4 DNFs before I finally found that one.  I'm sure he got a kick out of it, because he knew it was there, I just couldn't find it.  I imagined him pumping his fist in the air in victory everytime someone logged a DNF.  And well he should for that devious little hide.

My favorite reason to log a DNF though is not to compliment the owner on a great hide, and not to let them know it may be gone, but to write a DNF story.  If you haven't noticed, I like to exaggerate a little bit, so every time I have a DNF I try to tell some outlandish story.  I think of it as therapy.  In one day last week according to my logs, I was attacked by zombies, and recieved an electromagnetic pulse from aliens rendering my equipment useless, had a run in with someone dressed as Big Bird, saw A-Rod and Madonna, and was harrased by Poe's Raven.

 April 5 by djhobby (414 found)
As Lyncher and I were walking up to this one we were struck by anvoverwhelming stench. We immediately looked at each other and Tommy said, "Oh no not again." But yes too late, the zombies had risen. It seems like every time we try one of these cemetery caches this happens. We saw them starting to claw out of there graves in their never ending quest for brains. While I looked around for the cache and tried to stay out of the reach of the undead, Lyncher ran back to the car and got his emergency zombie kit. The kit consists of a baseball bat and a light chain mail shirt. Not near the protection of the full suit of armor and sword that we keep at home but it does come in handy if you are in a jam. Tommy donned the chain mail and started swinging but soon we were overwhelmed with the undead muggles. We quickly abandoned our search and decided to try again when the dead stay that way.

 April 5 by djhobby (414 found)
Lyncher and I tried to find this one, but as soon as we pulled up to ground zero we saw an eerie light shoot down from the sky and hit the Jolly Old Elf. After a few minutes of this blinding light it started to dim and we saw some sort of saucer shaped flying thingy in the sky above us. After playing the theme music to Close Encounters a few times it shot off into the sky. After that, nothing electronic or magnetic worked in the vicinity. It must have been an EMP pulse. I love love redundancy, oh wait wrong cache log, (GC1EJ0B) anyway, our GPSr quit working so we have to log this one not found for now.

 April 5 by djhobby (414 found)
As we were parking the car someone in a Big Bird suit ran up to the window of the house right next to the park and started banging on the window. Pretty soon someone called the cops and we abandoned our hope of finding the cache with such a commotion going on in the area.

 April 5 by djhobby (414 found)
We had some trouble with this one. Every time we would get near a big black bird would get in my face and start quothing. After 15 minutes of "Never more" we gave up.

 April 5 by djhobby (414 found)
We tried to find this one Sunday, but with so many people around it was hard to search. Little did we know that the Yankees were having their opening game of the season here. A-rod and Madonna had a huge crowd around them, and of course they decided to sign autographs right where the cache was. We couldn't get anywhere near it.

0 Comments: