Welcome to my World of Wonderment

Our planet is a neat place, full of weird and unusual people doing weird and unusual things. One oddball thing I like to do is geocache. What other activity is there that makes people travel hundreds of miles to climb a mountain, wade a river, and fight a Bigfoot, just to be the first person to sign a piece of paper rolled up in a 35mm film canister stuffed in the knot hole of a tree? I can't think of any other sport that has such a great mix of technology and the wonderful outdoors. A lot of geocaches are placed in a beautiful setting, or hidden in a challenging or unique way, or in a historical setting. Geocaching allows the finder to share in some of the hiders favorite places, and along the way you get to meet some interesting characters, and occasionally learn something new. While this blog is primarily a geocaching blog, I also use this place to post the occasional funny video or weird news story, or as a platform to rant or rave about something I really have to share. But for the most part this website is about you, the weirdo walking around in circles, talking into your GPS unit like it's a phone, pretending your taking pictures of a phone booth to find find the tiniest micro-cache, or circling your car around and around a light pole in a parking lot trying to retrieve a cache without even getting out of your car.

4/14/09

Bad Mojo


http://goodiesfirst.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/25/chicken_foot_2.jpg

Sometimes even a find needs a little mojo in it's logs.  This one is from a few weeks ago after searching through a landfill full of trash, yard waste, broken bottles, silk flowers, and even an occasional head stone.  Who throws out tombstones?  Oh and did I mention it was raining, and the name of the cache was Hard Rain?



Multi-cache
Movie Cache: Hard Rain


 April 5 by djhobby (439 found)       

I may have to watch this movie again some time now that I've found this cache.

This cache had some serious mojo going. It shook its chicken foot at us while we were deciphering the puzzle, thunder started rumbling in the background. We knew we were probably in for trouble. We hop back into the cachecar to get closer to the final coordinates but that leads us to some private property. So we look at the puzzle again and find out I gave Tommy a wrong digit while he was putting in the corrected coordinates. Probably because we were looking out for zombies (GC1F016)

When we finally got on the right track, Lyncher almost fell down about a 10 foot drop off into the dead people's trash. He was blindly following that evil arrow on his GPSr and not paying any attention to where he was going. Probably because it was just starting to spit a little rain. Bad Mojo is smiling.

So we start searching amongst the rabbit warren of briars, broken bottles, silk flowers, and believe it or not a discarded tombstone, but no luck. Mojo shoots some lightning out of it's beady eyes at us. I finally give up, but I'm entangled in some sort of vine that I swear is trying to strangle me. Mean ol' Mojo starts to cackle.

Somehow on my way back to the cachemobile I almost step on the ammo can. This must make Mojo furious, because no sooner do we snap the lid shut on the can than it start to rain with a fury and Mojo starts to howl.

Some how we make it back to the cache-U-V and ride the storm out, but now every time I turn on my garmin, I smell sulfur and I can hear just the faintest growl in the background. Yikes

0 Comments: