Welcome to my World of Wonderment

Our planet is a neat place, full of weird and unusual people doing weird and unusual things. One oddball thing I like to do is geocache. What other activity is there that makes people travel hundreds of miles to climb a mountain, wade a river, and fight a Bigfoot, just to be the first person to sign a piece of paper rolled up in a 35mm film canister stuffed in the knot hole of a tree? I can't think of any other sport that has such a great mix of technology and the wonderful outdoors. A lot of geocaches are placed in a beautiful setting, or hidden in a challenging or unique way, or in a historical setting. Geocaching allows the finder to share in some of the hiders favorite places, and along the way you get to meet some interesting characters, and occasionally learn something new. While this blog is primarily a geocaching blog, I also use this place to post the occasional funny video or weird news story, or as a platform to rant or rave about something I really have to share. But for the most part this website is about you, the weirdo walking around in circles, talking into your GPS unit like it's a phone, pretending your taking pictures of a phone booth to find find the tiniest micro-cache, or circling your car around and around a light pole in a parking lot trying to retrieve a cache without even getting out of your car.

10/31/09

alphabet sOuP GC1T5Q3

Alphabet sOuP was an awesome adventure. When we finished, the final was unreachable unfortunately because it had fallen down inside the hollow tree it was hidden in.  Some day when I have more time (right) I'll put links to all of my logs I reference in this log.

 August 2 by Odyssey Posse
Darn that djhobby . . . despite the very explicit warnings not to do so set forth on the the cache page, he went ahead and broke this cache.

Luckily, I got a message from him via Facebook on my BlackBerry while I was out and about town. I was able to swing by and replace the cache with a camo'd matchstick holder in a more secure position. And that means I'm able to post this note and set the record straight before DJ posts some tall tale blaming lyncher for the malfeasance that hath been wrought on this poor cache.

All is good to go again!



 August 2 by djhobby
Woo Hoo! FTF (Fourth to Find) That's my goal from now on, to always be fourth to find. I figure by the time I get to a cache fourth, all the bugs will have been worked out. Not so with this cache though. Unfortunately it had taken a little tumble from it's hiding place and was not to be reached. I tried to hold Tommy's ankles and lower him down the hole, but he wouldn't quite fit. Plus he kept screaming about snakes and ticks being in the hole with him, but you know how he exaggerates!

Thanks so much for publishing this challenging cache. If it hadn't been for you we would have never seen so many new places, meet so many nice people, or experienced so many fun times. Let's reminisce for a while. (Cue the harp music and make everything go blurry for a second)

During the course of finding these caches I have been water boarded, Tommy has been run over, met two different sets of cachers, I realized Tommy is blind, Tommy realized I am blind, fowned awt eye caynt spele, realized I can't count, nearly drowned, broke a geochecker, drove 290 miles for a First to Find, realized I'm allergic to bikers, found out Tommy is allergic to rattlesnakes and ticks, I've used the force on muggle cops, been Framed by the cops, met a sponge, ate a giant oreo, learned a lot of history, met tons of orphans, shelled out hundred of dollars for Tommys lunches, composed a limerick, spied on by a guy named Hugh Jazz, learned to add a pair of tweezers to my caching kit, poked a hole in my pants with a throwing star, used your kids oil paints more than they did, made the ultimate sacrifice, got our freak on with a weed farmer, told some GREAT jokes, lost Tommy forever to the carnival life, ran out of gas, made 1,238 U turns, ate 53 bags of potato chips, watched Tommy accidentally swallow a nano cache, but most of all, we have had tons, and tons, and tons of fun!

Thanks for the great times!


 August 4 by Odyssey Posse
Congrats to djhobby on reaching his goal of being FourthTF on this cache. It's a quite specific goal that takes a lot more planning and careful timing than one might think. So kudos to DJ! I'm glad I could supply the caches for such a grand set of adventures to be had by you and Tommy. My final request is that you would share that limerick that you wrote. I need new material.

On second thought, just hold on the limerick. My next stand-up gig is actually in Nantucket, so . . . well . . . you know . . . that would be kind of awkward.


 August 4 by djhobby
Here's the original without any Nantucket references (GC1J2QQ)

There once was a cache 'round a pole
I searched and I searched every hole
I found the cache finally
It was very tinally
Now it's no longer my goal

So now I thought I should compose a new one.

There once was a cache about soup

No, No, I don't like the direction that's going in.

Let me try again.

There once was a cacher named Duane
Who loved to hide caches for the game
He hid a lot of nanos
and used a lot of camo
rolling up those tiny logs is a pain


 August 4 by Odyssey Posse
Excellent! That's some of the finest poultry I've read in a long time. djhobby a poet . . . and didn't even know . . . oh, you know how it ends.

It's a good thing I have a stable of young children who spend up to 2 hours every day rolling those tiny nano logs.



0 Comments: