Welcome to my World of Wonderment

Our planet is a neat place, full of weird and unusual people doing weird and unusual things. One oddball thing I like to do is geocache. What other activity is there that makes people travel hundreds of miles to climb a mountain, wade a river, and fight a Bigfoot, just to be the first person to sign a piece of paper rolled up in a 35mm film canister stuffed in the knot hole of a tree? I can't think of any other sport that has such a great mix of technology and the wonderful outdoors. A lot of geocaches are placed in a beautiful setting, or hidden in a challenging or unique way, or in a historical setting. Geocaching allows the finder to share in some of the hiders favorite places, and along the way you get to meet some interesting characters, and occasionally learn something new. While this blog is primarily a geocaching blog, I also use this place to post the occasional funny video or weird news story, or as a platform to rant or rave about something I really have to share. But for the most part this website is about you, the weirdo walking around in circles, talking into your GPS unit like it's a phone, pretending your taking pictures of a phone booth to find find the tiniest micro-cache, or circling your car around and around a light pole in a parking lot trying to retrieve a cache without even getting out of your car.

3/31/09

Acronyms


300_99856.jpg picture by djhobby
A lot of times while logging a lot of caches you find yourself saying the same things over and over again.  So to save us from carpal tunnel, some ingenous person has come up with some neat acronyms for geocaching.  You always want to say thanks for one thing.  So instead of typing thanks for the cache 20 times, you abbreviate it with TFTC.  Took nothing left nothing has become TNLN.  Signed the log, is now SL. 

So for a lot of my logs I'll type a little blurb about the weather, or the area, or what ever I remember about the cache, and then finish with TFTC TNLNSL. Which is another way of saying:

Thanks for placing this cache here in this creepy cemetery,  I didn't take anything out of the cache because McDonalds toys don't interest me anymore because I'm a grown man.  And since I didn't take anything, I'm not going to leave this cool LED flashlight that I've been carrying around for a month.  I did however sign the log, whith my own pen because the one in the cache is broke and dried up.  Also the log was also full and pretty damp.
 
Imagine how labourious that would be to type that 20 time a week.  So to even shorten my logs even further, because I'm all about effieciancy, I have come up with few more acronyms for things that I am always typing in my logs.

GABARC - I got attacked by a rabid coyote
IHTKIWMP - I had to kill it with my pocketknife
IWWCTL - I wonder what coyote tastes like

Hopefully someday, these will get adopted by the whole geocaching community.





0 Comments: