Welcome to my World of Wonderment

Our planet is a neat place, full of weird and unusual people doing weird and unusual things. One oddball thing I like to do is geocache. What other activity is there that makes people travel hundreds of miles to climb a mountain, wade a river, and fight a Bigfoot, just to be the first person to sign a piece of paper rolled up in a 35mm film canister stuffed in the knot hole of a tree? I can't think of any other sport that has such a great mix of technology and the wonderful outdoors. A lot of geocaches are placed in a beautiful setting, or hidden in a challenging or unique way, or in a historical setting. Geocaching allows the finder to share in some of the hiders favorite places, and along the way you get to meet some interesting characters, and occasionally learn something new. While this blog is primarily a geocaching blog, I also use this place to post the occasional funny video or weird news story, or as a platform to rant or rave about something I really have to share. But for the most part this website is about you, the weirdo walking around in circles, talking into your GPS unit like it's a phone, pretending your taking pictures of a phone booth to find find the tiniest micro-cache, or circling your car around and around a light pole in a parking lot trying to retrieve a cache without even getting out of your car.

6/29/08

The Breach

We just watched Breach. I think it was a great movie. 7 maybe 8 out of 10. It is based on the true story of Robert Hanssen, the devastating mole, who almost took down all of our national security. I read one book about this, The Mole, which came out real soon after Hanssen was arrested in 2001. But this movie is based on a book written a few years later, by the FBI Agent who took Hansen down. Fascinating story. It makes you wonder why a person would commit treason. The movie hints at his reason for doing this was to better the U.S. by pointing out our short comings. But what I read was, he was really motivated by money and sex. The Soviet Union, later the Russians, were giving him loads of money that he was spending on lots of prostitutes and drugs. What is more American than that? Sounds like spring break. Sign me up. But seriously how much money would it take for you to commit treason. To me there is no amount. Now I know I hate the current administration, and I wish all of them ill, but I could never be treasonous. I could sell my soul to the devil (because he doesn't exist) but never sell out my country for some poontang. (Sorry about being crude, I try to keep this clean, but fuck it's hard not to mention pussy once in a while) One thing that got me thinking was, I can still remember Hanssen's name seven years later, but I can't remember the name of the agent that helped take him down, and I just watched the movie! Was it Ryan Phillippe? No that was the name of the actor. (And how many "p"s does this guy need in his name anyway. He is hogging all the "p"s. How cool would my name be with all of those "p"s, PJ Hoppy. Doesn't that sound fucking awesome? I wish this guy would give up a few of those "p"s) We are all fascinated by the bad guy. I guess that means that we all can relate to the good guy, we are all like him, but what we really want to know is why Ben stuck his dick in the peanut butter. That Bastard.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok DJ lets debate. First of all I do agree that breach was a good movie but only about a 7 out of 10. The good shepherd is much better. 2nd of all, how can you say you dont believe in god and in the same post say you would never betray your country. The cor of this country was built and based on the very belief in god, example being the very fabric which makes our country run is money and on every bill is written In God we trust. Just a little food for thought. From you favorite paramedic!!

DJ Hobby said...

I would disagree, the fabric upon which this country is built, is the Constitution. Show me one mention of God in the Constitution anywhere. The framers of the Constitution purposefully left out all mention of god and christianity, when all other documents of time went out of their way to, so as to build a secular government, not beholding to any other master but the people, earthly or otherwise.


Jefferson even said as much in the following letter:


Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
Jan.1.1802



As you see, Jefferson himself comes up with the term a wall of separation between church and state.

Did Jefferson love this country? So much so, that he put his life on the line to help form the United States. Did Jefferson believe in the christian god? Me and many others would argue no. He did believe in a higher power though. He even took a pair of scissors to a bible and cut all of the parts he didn't agree with, and was left with almost nothing.

And god was not put on our money until 1957 out of fear of the godless commies.

But I will agree with you about the movie just being a 7 and the Good Shepard being a better movie. I just found this whole story fascinating though. Here is a guy who was (on the outside anyway, and who can say anything about what is on the inside of anyone's mind) a very devout christian, and he is the one that betrayed our country.

Anonymous said...

If you dig a little deeper into the founding of our country, you will see several uses of God in several facets. Here are a few...
1. The pledge of Allegience says on nation under God.

2. CNN reported in a Feb. 28, 2002 article on their website that:
"The motto was first placed on coins by the U.S. Treasury in 1864, during the Civil War. In 1955, Congress passed a bill to have the motto placed on paper currency, and it first appeared on bills two years later.

In 1956, Congress passed a resolution declaring 'In God We Trust' the national motto. "

3.The U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1788, stipulated in Article II, Section I, Clause 8:
"Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--'I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

[Editor's Note: While saying "so help me God" is not mentioned in the Constitution it has become a traditional part of a presidential inauguration. Spokesmen from the Library of Congress and Donald R. Kennon, Chief Historian of United States Capitol Historical Society, are on record as reporting that the tradition began with the first presidential inauguration of George Washington. This claim is disputed by researchers who are unable to locate any firsthand accounts from that time that reported George Washington said those words. All presidents in an unbroken chain since FDR's 1933 inauguration are known to have repeated the words, "so help me God," when the oath was administered to them.]

4.The U.S. Declaration of Independence of July 4, 1776 stated:


Click to enlarge


"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

I am sure you can find many more instances.

Anonymous said...

p.s. Maybe Ben is the walrus.

DJ Hobby said...

coo-coo-ka-choo

and I am the egg man

Anonymous said...

no, we are the egg men! I really miss our late night debates over a case of beer and lil dick n rudi:)

DJ Hobby said...

Lil Dick n Rudi!!, and the "Wheel of Zeppelin!" HAha! We would argue shit all night long and never make a good point one way or another, because we where too young and drunk. Kind of like this blog. :~) To sound a little too sentimental: I miss my Muddy Bike.

P.S. I'll try to shoot holes in your church and state argument later. And I know you know this, but for the innocent onlookers, nothing personal, we've know each other for over 20 years, and I know a lively discussion about religion will never quell or friendship.

P.P.S. snɹlɐʍ ǝɥʇ sı uǝq

Anonymous said...

What confuses us WILL make us stronger.